martedì 11 dicembre 2018

16 - FUTURE TENSES


FUTURE
In English, the future tense is different from Italian. The “future” form depends on what the action or state is at the time of speaking. (For example, is it programmed? Is it an intention? Is it an idea you have? Is it on a timetable?)
Present Simple                 
Present Continuous
Be going to
Will

-habitual action
I visit my grandmother every weekend.

-future: timetable (orario stabilito)
The bus to my grandmother leaves on Saturday at 8 in the morning.

Naples plays against Juve this Saturday afternoon.


-action happening at the moment.
I’m going to school now.

-programmed future
I’m visiting my grandmother this weekend. (My grandmother knows. I called and made plans with her.)

-future intention
I’m going to visit my grandmother this weekend.
(I want to go but I did not call my grandmother.)

-evident
Look at those clouds. It's going to rain. 

-predictions
In 2030 cars will fly.
Tomorrow it will rain.

-promises
I’ll call you this weekend.

-decision made the moment speaking
(At a restaurant) I’ll have the hamburger and chips.
What are you doing this weekend?
I don’t know. I think I will go to the cinema.
 I might go to the cinema.
I will probably go to the cinema.  

-personal ideas in the future
I (don’t) think
I’m (not) sure
I’m (not) certain
I don’t think I will go to the cinema this weekend.
I think I will visit my grandmother this weekend.

may/might – probability
I may/might go to the cinema this weekend.
probably  /  definitely – use only with “will”  (before the main verb)
I will probably go to the cinema on Saturday. (personal)
I will definitely go to the cinema on Saturday. (personal)
Perhaps / Maybe (Forse) – use only with “will” (at the beginning of the sentence)
Perhaps I will go to the cinema on Saturday.
Maybe I will go to the cinema on Saturday.
Tomorrow I’m leaving for London. My plane leaves at 7 in the morning.
Present Continuous because my future action is programmed. Present simple because the plane has a timetable.






PRACTICE ONLINE:

FUTURE EXPLANATIONS




Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

30 - CONDITIONALS

Zero Conditional – something that always happens If + present simple, present simple If I eat a lot of chocolate, I feel sick. If...